Cardiology is the field of medicine that deals with the heart and to a certain extent, the rest of the cardiovascular system.
Cardiac surgery is one of the most demanding medical fields there is.
Cardiologists use a variety of tools and techniques to treat diseases and conditions of the heart.
The types of problems they treat fall into one of these categories:
- Cardiac arrest
- Disorders of the coronary circulation
- Disorders of the myocardium (muscle of the heart)
- Disorders of the pericardium (outer lining of the heart)
- Disorders of the heart valves
- Congenital heart defects
- Diseases of blood vessels (vascular diseases)
Except in urgent or severe cases, in order to reduce risks cardiologists usually start with the most conservative treatments, like dieting and medications. However, in some cases, more complex procedures are needed. Some of the cardiac procedures available in the Bahamas are:
- Coronary artery bypass surgery (CABG)
- Enhanced external counterpulsation (EECP)
- Percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI)
- Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Angioplasty (PTCA)
There is a specific set of requirements for each procedure that have to be met before a patient is considered a candidate for that procedure. Please speak with your cardiologist in the Bahamas to verify if you quality for the above mentioned procedures.