General dentistry refers to primary care within dentistry, although many dentists decide to specialize in a related field. Most commonly, general dentistry involves procedures that aim at preventing diseases and diagnosing them in the early stages so that the problem can be easily fixed while repairs are economical. General dentistry is considered an important part of having a high-quality lifestyle.
Common procedures in general dentistry:
- Check ups: It is highly recommended to have a dental check up at least once or twice a year in order to detect problems early. This includes children and regular check ups should be a lifelong routine.
- Cleaning: Commonly done during annual or semi-annual check ups.
- Dental calculus removal: The ingestion of salts can lead to the accumulation of calculus on the teeth. Once this happens, only the dentist (or his or her hygienist) can remove it.
- X-rays: X-rays are used in several applications in dentistry, which is why it is a service typically offered by general dentists.
- Amalgam and composite fillings: When caught early, a tooth cavity (dental caries) can be cleaned and the space restored with a filling.
- Dental inlays and on lays: Inlays and onlays are restorations for teeth that have been broken or treated. Inlays are solid fillings that fill the cavity of a tooth while onlays are solid fillings that cover the top of the tooth.
- Gum disease treatments: Periodontal disease, more commonly known as gum disease, is the most common cause of tooth loss, which is why general dentists are trained to treat gum disease.
If you are seeking an affordable dentist in the Bahamas, please fill out the “Find a Doctor/Dentist” form on this site to be contacted by a participating dental specialist.