Neonatologists in The Bahamas
Neonatology is a branch of pediatrics that’s highly specialized in the care of newborns. It is especially concerned with the care of babies who have been born with an illness or a condition.
Neonatology is a type of care that’s hospital-based. This just means that neonatology must be practiced in a hospital, where the medical staff and the equipment needed is readily available, as opposed to care at home.
Some of the issues that neonatologists deal with are:
• Low-birth weight. Significant lower weight than what’s normal or expected.
• Intrauterine growth retardation. Poor growth while in the mother’s womb during pregnancy, typically due to malnutrition or lack of oxygen.
• Birth defects. Birth defects can vary greatly and have to be assessed on a case by case basis. They are usually the result of genetics.
• Sepsis. Sepsis is a type of inflammation that affects the whole body and that can prove fatal to newborns. It is caused by infection and it can persist even after the infection is gone.
• Pulmonary hyperplasia. This condition refers to the uncontrolled growth of the lungs. It can be fatal for a newborn who is not prepared to deal with the extra size and weight.
• Birth asphyxias. It refers to the reduction of oxygen supply during birth. If unchecked, it can lead to brain damage.
If you would like to communicate with a specialist in neonatal and newborn baby care, please fill out the “Find a Doctor” form and a qualified medical professional will contact you to discuss your medical needs.