Psychology is the field that studies mental functions and behavior. Although it deals with the behavior of societies, in the health industry, it refers to the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the mind causes by non-biological means (although they can identify these biological causes when they’re present and refer the patient to another specialist).
Some common areas of interest and factors that are studied and evaluated by psychologists are:
- Perception: Whether the patient can perceive reality accurately or if he or she is having his or her perception of reality altered.
- Attention: Whether the patient can hold a normal (for his or her age) attention span and be able to focus normally.
- Emotion: Whether the patient can feel a normal and proportionally appropriate range of emotional responses or whether one or more type of emotion is altered or absent.
- Motivation: Finding out what the motivations for certain behaviors of the patient are, and/or what his expectations for the future are.
- Personality: Finding out the primary traits that define the patient’s personality in order to help him or her use his or her strengths and limiting his or her weaknesses in day-to-day life.
- Brain functioning: Identifying if there is a brain condition or disease that is causing the problem.
- Behavior: Identifying the habits of the patient and how they affect his life.
- Interpersonal relationships: Whether the person can have regular interactions with friends, family and co-workers.
There are many psychological disorders and treatment of these has to be highly customized for each patient.
If you are seeking a leading psychologist in the Bahamas, we invite you to fill out the “Find a Doctor” form on this site to be contacted by a participating medical specialist in the Bahamas.